Cold calling can be one of the most effective ways to reach NEW customers. Yet it’s also one of the most feared methods of sales. It’s easy to see why: when you make a cold call, you’re jumping into the unknown.
For some, cold calling is a great way to drum up a new business, for others, cold calling is simply a necessary evil. You’ve just got to do it to get new clients.
In this blog post, we are going to reveal how to make cold calls more effective and how to avoid some common mistakes.
In today’s competitive market, cold calls are still a tried-and-tested way to reach new customers. But before making that cold call, you need to do your homework.
Here are some quick tips that will help you to create a better experience for your customers and increase your chances of making a sale.
- Speak clearly and slowly.
- Make sure your call is respectful.
- Avoid using scare tactics or patronizing language.
- Ask questions that will help you understand the prospect’s needs.
- Stay positive and maintain a positive attitude throughout the call.
- Allow the prospect to control the conversation.
- Be patient – some prospects may take longer to decide for others.
- Make sure you have all the information you need before making your call.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for referrals.
Do’s and Don’ts of Calling
When you’re calling a potential customer, there are a few things you should and shouldn’t do.
Here are some dos and don’ts of effective calling:
- Speak slowly and clearly. Customers can be distracted by noise and fast-talking, so make sure your voice is low and steady.
- Always be polite. Don’t get angry or impatient when you’re talking to a customer on the phone, even if they are being difficult or slow to respond.
- Make sure your contact information is up-to-date. If the customer doesn’t know who you are or what your business is, they are less likely to listen to what you have to say.
- Be prepared to answer questions. If the customer is confused about what you’re selling or needs more information, be prepared to help them out.
- Call too often. Customers may get annoyed if you call them too frequently, especially if they don’t have anything new to say or if you’re asking for something they don’t have time for. Try calling once a week or once every two weeks instead.
- Talk in a loud voice. Customers may not be able to hear you properly if your voice is too loud.
- Push too hard. If the customer doesn’t want to buy what you’re selling, don’t force them into it. Instead, try persuading them gently and politely.
- Don’t try to sell the customer something they don’t need. If the customer isn’t interested in what you are selling, don’t waste your time trying to convince them otherwise.
- Don’t leave voicemails that are too long. If the customer doesn’t have time to listen to your message, they may delete it without even listening to the beginning. Try leaving a message that is no more than two minutes long.
- Don’t call during busy hours. If the customer is working or has children at home, they may not be able to answer their phone right away. Try calling during the morning or evening when most people are at home.
PRO Tips for Making Calls
The cold call is often used by sales professionals as a first step to reaching out to potential new prospects. But the cold call can be an intimidating prospect for many people.
If we’re not sure what to say, it’s easy to feel tongue-tied and start to talk fast. To get the most out of cold calls, follow these tips.
- Be Organized: Before you even pick up the phone, make a list of who you want to call and what you want to say. This will help ensure that your conversation stays on track and avoid any distractions.
- Speak Softly and Clearly: When you’re speaking with a potential customer on the phone, be sure to speak slowly and clearly. If they don’t understand what you’re saying, they may not want to do business with you.
- Keep it Short: On average, people don’t have the patience to listen to a cold caller go on for more than a few minutes. If you get cut off, try to get back on the phone within 24 hours. If you’re making an outbound call to the general public, your call should last only about four minutes. If you’re calling a target market, you can extend that to about six minutes.
- Fostering Connections: When speaking to your customers effectively, it is important to note that it is a two-way conversation, and you should be speaking with them as much as they are speaking with you. Make sure you are listening to them and finding ways to address their concerns and answer their questions. This will make them feel like they are being heard, and will make them feel more at ease with the company they are conducting business with.
- Avoid Distractions: When you’re on the phone, try to avoid any distractions. This includes turning on music or TV in the background, checking your email, or surfing the web. Doing so will likely distract you and prevent you from being as effective as possible when talking to your customers.
- Be Professional: When you’re on the phone, always be polite and professional. This will show your customer that you respect them and are taking their concerns seriously.
- Stay Positive: It’s important to always sound positive on the phone. This will help put your customer at ease and make them more likely to buy from you. Remember to smile, even if they can’t see you, and keep your tone friendly and upbeat.
- Be Patient: Don’t get angry or frustrated when you’re on the phone, and be patient with your customer. They may not understand what you’re saying at first, so be patient and try to explain it again slowly.
- Don’t be Afraid to Ask for Clarification: If you’re ever unsure about what your customer is asking for, don’t hesitate to inquire for more details. This way, you can maintain a strong relationship with them while making sure that all of their needs are being taken care of. Not to mention, this clarity will help you understand the project as a whole much better.
You now know a few tips and tricks for cold calling so you can be more effective. If you want to learn more about cold calling, feel free to contact us at +91 9643303884. We hope you enjoyed our blog post, and we look forward to reading your comments and seeing your feedback!